Leslie Odom Jr. just won a Tony Award for best performance by a leading actor in a musical for his portrayal of Aaron Burr in the hip hop hit Hamilton. He surprised theatergoers when he announced on June 19 that he plans to leave the production after his contract expires on July 9.
Odom announced his departure in a Facebook Live video appearance. He said he was grateful that he had the opportunity to play the role. He said he did not believe he would be part of a filming of the production, even though he would like to be. Odom recently released a solo jazz album and said he is excited to look for a new project.
Departing Cast Members’ Future Plans
Odom is the fourth major cast member to leave Hamilton in recent weeks. Jonathan Groff, who played the role of King George III, left the cast in April. Lin-Manuel Miranda, the show’s author and star, recently announced that he will leave on July 9. Phillipa Soo, who plays Hamilton’s wife, also plans to leave at the same time.
Miranda is leaving Hamilton to work on two projects with Disney. Soo will play the lead role in a musical based on the film Amelie, and Groff will appear in the Netflix series Mindhunter.
Remaining Cast Members Renegotiating Contracts
Several cast members have been renegotiating their contracts beyond July 9. They are looking for salary increases because of Hamilton’s runaway success and critical acclaim. Cast members who were involved in the show’s original development workshops were promised shares of its profits. The details are still being negotiated.
The original cast members have been performing the show for two years or longer. The musical began at the Public Theater and then moved to the Richard Rodgers Theatre last July.
Order Tickets to See Hamilton
It remains to be seen how the cast changes will affect ticket sales and the public’s view of the play. If you would like to see Hamilton, you can order tickets from OnBroadway.com to see this Tony Award-winning musical about the founding of the United States. Order your tickets today.
Tickets for the Last Remaining Hamilton Performances with Lin-Manual Miranda, Phillipa Soo, & Leslie Odom Jr.
(All performances are at the Richard Rodgers Theatre at 226 West 46th Street)
- Thu, Jun 23 2016 at 7:00PM
- Fri, Jun 24 2016 at 8:00PM
- Sat, Jun 25 2016 at 2:00PM
- Sat, Jun 25 2016 at 8:00PM
- Sun, Jun 26 2016 at 3:00PM
- Tue, Jun 28 2016 at 7:00PM
- Wed, Jun 29 2016 at 2:00PM
- Wed, Jun 29 2016 at 8:00PM
- Thu, Jun 30 2016 at 7:00PM
- Fri, Jul 01 2016 at 8:00PM
- Sat, Jul 02 2016 at 2:00PM
- Sat, Jul 02 2016 at 8:00PM
- Sun, Jul 03 2016 at 3:00PM
- Tue, Jul 05 2016 at 7:00PM
- Wed, Jul 06 2016 at 2:00PM
- Wed, Jul 06 2016 at 8:00PM
- Thu, Jul 07 2016 at 2:00PM
- Thu, Jul 07 2016 at 8:00PM
- Fri, Jul 08 2016 at 8:00PM
- Sat, Jul 09 2016 at 2:00PM – SECOND TO LAST PERFORMANCE WITH MIRANDA, SOO, & ODOM JR.!
- Sat, Jul 09 2016 at 8:00PM – FINAL PERFORMANCE WITH MIRANDA, SOO, & ODOM JR.!