Have you seen Hamilton yet? If not, you can get a taste for the hit Broadway Musical on tonight’s Grammy Award show. Lin-Manual Miranda, the talented creator, composer, and actor will be joined by Daveed Diggs and fellow cast members of Hamilton to perform a musical number live from the Richard Rogers Theatre.
The Hamilton cast joins big names for the telecast, including LL Cool J, who will return for his fifth year hosting the award show. Last year’s Tony Award winner, Fun Home, will perform at tonight’s Grammy’s as well. If you haven’t seen Fun Home live yet, now’s your chance to save. Use promo code funhome20 to save on your Fun Home Tickets!
This year’s Grammy Award nominees for Best Musical Theater Album include Fun Home, An American in Paris, The King and I, Something Rotten!, and of course, Hamilton. Lin-Manual’s musical following the life and times of Alexander Hamilton, has been lauded by critics since it previewed. Charles McNulty (Los Angeles Times) wrote, “’Hamilton’ is the most important American musical to come along since ‘Rent.’”
Since 1959, the Grammy Awards have selected a Best Musical Theater Album. Recipients since then include the following illustrious list of winners:
- Meredith Wilson for The Music Man in 1959
- Hammerstein II and Rodgers for The Sound of Music in 1961
- Bacharach & David for Promises, Promises in 1970
- Stephen Sondheim for Company in 1971, A Little Night Music in 1974, Sweeney Todd in 1980, Sunday in the Park with George in 1985, & Into the Woods in 1989
- Andrew Lloyd Webber for Evita in 1981, & Cats in 1984
- Schonberg for Les Misérables in 1988
- Lin-Manuel Miranda for In the Heights in 2009 (and maybe for Hamilton in 2016!)
- …and so many more talented entertainers.
Important and uproariously funny, Hamilton has wowed audiences of all ages since it opened. It’s won Lucille Lortel Awards, Outer Critics Circle Awards, Drama Desk Awards, and more—and that was just for its Off Broadway run from February 2015 to August 2015, when it transferred to the Richard Rogers Theatre on Broadway. As of right now, the show is nominated for a Grammy Award as well as an NAACP Image Award.
Did you know you can still get tickets to see Hamilton? On Broadway has tickets available to every performance—matinees, evening shows, weekday and weekend performances. With the best prices around, it’s hard to imagine saving even more…but use the promo code hamilton20 to save on your Hamilton tickets—and don’t forget to watch tonight’s Grammy Award Show at 8:00 PM eastern on CBS.